На информационном ресурсе применяются рекомендательные технологии (информационные технологии предоставления информации на основе сбора, систематизации и анализа сведений, относящихся к предпочтениям пользователей сети "Интернет", находящихся на территории Российской Федерации)


151 подписчик

The Dangers of Human Medications

Dogs and cats are notorious troublemakers. Getting into the garbage, knocking things off of shelves, snatching the last bite of your sandwich if you leave it for just a second. These behaviors can be frustrating but they are generally harmless.

Some irritating pet behaviors are not so innocent. What if, instead of ingesting the last bit of your sandwich, your pet eats something more dangerous?

Something like a pill, or many pills?

If your pet eats medication meant for people, it could cause vomiting, kidney failure, liver damage, seizures, stomach ulcers, tremors and more.

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, over fifty percent of their calls are about pets that have eaten one or more prescription or over the counter pills. If you think your pet has eaten any type of medication call your veterinarian or the Poison Control Hotline immediately at 1-800-213-6680.

With prompt attention your pet can get the care he needs, but the best course of action is prevention.

Keep all medications out of reach of your pet. Cats are agile and can climb onto counter tops and shelves. All medications including over the counter medications should be kept in a secure cabinet.

Do not keep your medication next to your pet’s medication. Many pets have eaten medication meant for people because it was mixed up and accidentally given to the pet.

Medication should never be kept in a plastic bag. It is very easy for an animal to chew right through it.

Always keep medications in a labeled, sealed vial.

When administering medication, open the bottle over a sink or other surface that can catch pills if you drop any of them. How many of us have dogs that will eat anything that drops on the floor?

If you do have to call your veterinarian or the Poison Control Hotline, be sure you know what type of medication your pet has ingested and what the dosage is. This information can be crucial to making a decision on the course of treatment for your pet.

Never try to treat your pet at home.

Call your veterinarian for advice and together you can come up with a solution for your furry friend.




Картина дня